What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Thursday, January 31, 2008

"I want a pink coffin, Mommy!"

When Frances was little, she said, "I want a pink coffin, Mommy!" This prompted a call to my best friend, Gnat, who happens to be a child psychologist. Her expert analysis? Frances watches too much "Scooby-Doo."

Last month Alice-Grace says, "When I die, it's OK if you eat me if you need to because I'm really meaty." What? Has she been hanging out with that Uruguayan soccer team?

I come home from work today and Jeffrey has made a funeral procession out of Legos. He had coffins (with lids, you know, in case there's a viewing) with Lego men inside and even little Lego pall bearers.

This is the same boy who at my uncle's funeral stands up in the pew, points to the casket and yells, "What's in the box?"

When Frances was much smaller, I caught her shoving a Q-tip in baby Jeffrey's mouth. I asked her what she was doing and she replied, "I'm getting a DNA sample!"

I think we need to get rid of the TV.

12 comments:

Am'n2Deep said...

Yeah, when my 4 year old says bedtime prayers, it goes something like this: Dear Heavenly Father, please bless I will have a good dream, and mom will have a good dream, and dad will have a good dream, and J~ will have a good dream, and A~ will have a good dream, and Chloe (the dog) will have a good dream, and my toys will have a good dream, and my house will have a good dream, and EVERYTHING will have a good dream. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

She's had one too many nightmares--and you can guess the culprit.

b. said...

y'all are funny!

A dna sample.....that's a riot!

dishes and laundry said...

Alice-Grace is showing some remarkable compassion - offering her meaty body for consumption. LOL. My two boys are skin and bones - I guess we could use them for toothpicks! Not that they've offered though.

The lego funeral is awesome!

XANA-DIVA-DELUX said...

I am laughing so hard right now, and envious that I did not grow up in your home. I watch way too much CSI I wonder what would happen to my children :)

PS. Have your kids been to LEGOLAND?

rabidrunner said...

Tears. That's all I'm gonna say. Tears. Bless you Lois.

debi9kids said...

LMAO! Too funny Lois!

Lois said...

AMN2DEEP -- that prayer is too funny. How do you keep a straight face? My nephew used to ask Heavenly Father to bless all the appliances AND the outlets.

B -- yes, she's a little TOO much into "CSI."

DISHES & LAUNDRY -- yes, Alice-Grace is always thinking of others.

Not quite sure about the Lego funeral. He even said much too cheerfully, "Want to know how they died?"

XANA-DIVA-DELUX -- yes, we went to Legoland for the first time this past summer. Jeffrey was in heaven!

RABIDRUNNER -- tears of joy, I hope?

BOUFMOM9 -- hope you have some A left (or sitting would be very uncomfortable).

rabidrunner said...

Tears of laughter... the best kind.

Lois said...

RABIDRUNNER -- oh good.

The MacMizzles said...

Just when I felt the eyes of society snarling at how I am raising my children, I open your blog, and laugh so hard I cry. Next time I am at the grocery store feeling the stare while my three year old tries to beat up his brother I will tell those looking on that he is taking a DNA sample.

You are too funny.

Lois said...

McMILLANS -- yeah, long ago I stopped caring about the eyes of society looking down on my kids. I feel that there's only so many years that you can get away with wearing a swim suit OVER your snow suit with a tiara to the supermarket. Believe me, I've tried.

Geo said...

I think the Denominators need to come over to my house and BE the t.v.