What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Thursday, January 10, 2008

Thursday Thopping

I am getting this new system down. I clip my coupons from my FREE newspaper (trial subscription) and compile them in my notebook. Yes, I have a COUPON NOTEBOOK. Don't mess with me, I'm saving money.

Let me just brag a little bit about my grocery shopping today --
Total: $108.53
Store Savings: $46.83
Coupons Tendered: $12.70
My final cost: $49.00

That's right! I saved over HALF my bill! Even the cashier was impressed.

You should see my pantry and freezer. Even my laundry closet is stocked. Of course, I still need more experience on what's a good price and what's not, but I have been able to keep to my goal of not paying more than $1.00 a pound for meat (and I'm not talking about the "meat" Nigel brings home from the scary butcher shop in the neighborhood with all the missing cats).

I'm amazed at how much I'm able to buy just by doing some research and paying attention to the prices and deals, but am I really SAVING? After all, I'm still BUYING. I'm just buying more. Hmmm.

6 comments:

Rynell said...

Way to go! I have to ask, are you doing the Savvy Shopper thing? (I get emails from them alerting me to good sales...)

Geo said...

Whoa. You are scary domestic.

Geo said...

That was a compliment.

Am'n2Deep said...

I'm very impressed! Didn't you say that you were doing this in part to build up food storage? I think this is a fabulous way to do so, and I wish I were so motivated!

But I know what you mean, about the "buying more" thing. When I was doing Shopping Smart, I found myself buying things I wouldn't normally buy just because they were a good deal, and driving all over tarnation, burning gasoline, just to get the best deals. Pretty soon I decided that I was "Shopping Stupid".

SC_mommie said...

That's awesome! But how do you manage to find meat that's no more than $1 p/lb? Is there a 'trick' you'd be willing to share?? I consider myself lucky if I can get even cheap cuts or dark-meat chicken for less than $2 p/lb!! You da whoa-man!!

Lois said...

RYNELL -- I don't do Savvy Shopper. Coupon Mom does the same thing, but only for one store in the state, and I just do the rest myself.

GEO -- thanks for the compliment!

AMN2DEEP -- yes, I'm trying to build up my food storage and so far it's working.

I limit myself to two stores and they have to be close to one another. It is hard to buy only what you need and not just because it's a good deal. I'm still working on that part of my system.

SC MOMMIE -- I was lucky to find some good sales (mostly dark meat chicken, pork chops and ham -- what my family eats anyway). My sister waits until the butcher shop is almost closed and they sell everything in the case for real cheap. So far, I've never been able to figure out exactly when this happens. I'll have to do more research.