What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Saturday, January 19, 2008

The Emperor's New Clothes

So for the past few weeks I've been doing a little experiment at work. Here's how it's going so far:

LOIS: Hey, did you notice that I've been wearing the exact same clothes every day this week?

COWORKER: Huh?

L: Yeah. Black T-shirt, black sweater, jeans, and boots. Same outfit every day. I do change my underwear and socks, though.

C: Didn't notice.

L: Did you notice that I wore the same clothes all last week, too?

C: No. Hey, what was I wearing yesterday?

L: I have no idea. Maybe if I wore a tie-dye muu-muu every day people would notice.

C: I doubt it.

Try it. What was your boss wearing yesterday? Didn't notice? You're not alone. Why are we so worried about our appearance when no one even notices? Of course, maybe it's experiments like these that make people leave bags of clothes at my door.

10 comments:

b. said...

You are too funny!

Don't tell anyone, but I wore the same outfit twice this week too.

dalene said...

That's hysterical. I didn't even notice either. I always love it when someone asks me if the black pinstripe pants I wear at least every other day are new.

Hahahaha!

Lois said...

B -- yeah, when are we going to switch to those silver jumpsuits like they show in all those sci-fi movies?

CW -- too funny. Hey, I love those black pinstripe pants! Are they new?

rabidrunner said...

I'm so glad to know this. My Spouse will wear the same jeans every day until they stand up by themselves. To be honest, I've been thinking that his coworkers must feel like his wife is a slob (laundryless, shoppingless, spends all the cash so he only has one pair). But thanks to you, I no longer care! My new motto? Wear 'em 'til they slide off with slime, Babe!

Am'n2Deep said...

I'm all about comfort, and less about style. So I admit, if you noticed, you would definitely catch me wearing my favorites as repeats a lot! It's my biggest fear that someone will turn me in to "What Not to Wear"!!

Elizabeth-W said...

I love this post!!!
I have favorite clothes and I swear I have patients who probably think I don't own anything other than one outfit. I make myself little sections in my closet of what was worn on Tuesday, what was worn on Thursday so I switch them the next week, if that makes sense.
Whatever I wear to church on Sunday gets worn to work on Tuesday--at least that was how I ALWAYS did it before I was called to nursery--now I have to be a little more cautious.
Thanks for a great reminder to worry less.

Lois said...

RABIDRUNNER -- slide off with slime? Disturbing, but funny.

AMN2DEEP -- I keep telling Nigel TO turn me into "What Not to Wear!" I love that show!

ELIZABETH W -- I love your system. As an old veteran of "the nursery," I know what you mean.

debi9kids said...

LOL!That was great! I have to say though, my kids would notice and not only point it out to me, but they would do it infront of company. hahaha The story of my life....

Geo said...

You've seen this, right?

Lois said...

BOUFMOM9 -- yeah, aren't all kids like that? My friend's kid answered the door and said, "My mom and dad are taking a shower right now."

GEO -- yes! That's where I got the idea! I think she's awesome.