What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Wednesday, January 2, 2008

If I just save a little more...

Nigel's dad, Jedward, grew up in an orphanage run by a chocolate company. Ironically, the children were not allowed to eat very much candy (though he was trained to be a confectioner).

Jedward came into a small amount of money and he was very excited about buying candy for just himself. Then it dawned on him that if he just saved a little bit more money, he would have enough for a small portable transistor radio.

When he saved enough for the radio, he realized that if he just saved a little bit more, he would have enough to buy a record player.

When he saved enough for the record player, he realized that if he just saved a little bit more, he would have enough to buy a hi-fi system.

When he saved enough for the hi-fi, he realized that if he saved a bit more, he would have enough money to buy a nice bike.

When he saved enough for the bike, he realized that if he saved still more, he would have enough to buy a car.

This continued and continued. Let's just say that at the end of all his saving, he bought his first house with CASH.

See what you can do with a little candy money?

11 comments:

Am'n2Deep said...

What the? Why has blogger not notified me of your last who knows how many posts? Grrrr. Well, I guess I've got some catching up to do!!!

Lois said...

AM'N2DEEP -- have fun catching up! I'm so computer UNsavvy that I can barely turn the thing on, let alone have it notify me of people's latest posts!

Rynell said...

I'm still fascinated by the growing up in an orphanage run by candy makers....incredible.

I know I shouldn't have spent my money on chocolate. But maybe I am financing a well-run orphanage somewhere...

Lois said...

RYNELL -- it's the Milton S. Hershey School (used to be just for boys, but now it's co-ed). The founder of Hershey's chocolate didn't have any kids, so he started an orphanage. In fact, the orphanage is the biggest shareholder of Hershey stock. I had no idea this existed until I married Nigel and found out about his dad. Eat a Kiss, help an orphan!

dalene said...

Great story--as always!

Lois said...

CW -- I love stories like these. Gives me hope.

Am'n2Deep said...

Well I hope you have gmail that notifies you of all the new comments on your blogs because I just left....are you ready? (Don't hate me...over 20 comments. I did it! Read every last enjoyable post that I missed. Miraculously, my bloglines notifier is working for your blog again. ???

Anyway, I love the names: Jedward? Now that's something I haven't heard before. A unique name you've chosen for a man with a unique life experience. Good story.

This also gives a sweet (in more ways than one, new meaning to eating those kisses and hugs.

b. said...

Ohhhh....the things I could buy with my diet pepsi money.

Lois said...

AMN2DEEP -- yes, I am notified when the comments are left. I'm usually obsessed about responding to all my comments, but over 20? Come on, I don't know if I can do that (but I'll try).

Truth be told, Nigel came up with "Jedward."

B -- are you one of those obsessed diet Pepsi people? I wish I had one of those obsessions so I could give it up and save tons of money (like they always say on those financial shows, "Get a trip to the Bahamas by not buying lattes at Starbucks for a year!")

Geo said...

FAB.U.LOIS.

Lois said...

GEO -- you are too witty! You come up with the best one-liners. No wonder my mother loves you and quotes you all the time (I'm sure she'll be writing about you in her next Christmas newsletter).