What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Monday, September 29, 2008

Adventures in Preparedness

Recently we bought Alice-Grace her own 72-hour emergency preparedness kit (she's in Kindergarten now, that's plenty big enough to lug around a 20-pound backpack in case of fire, flood or earthquake).

Of course, she was way excited and had to pull everything out of her pack. This made Frances and Jeffrey want to empty out their 72-hour kits. Which eventually led to them unloading mine and Nigel's emergency packs.

Now our already messy living room was even more cluttered with candles, MREs, matches, toilet paper, water packets, first aid kits, flashlights, hand warmers, light sticks, solar radios, etc.

The next morning I go to get something in the living room, trip over an empty backpack and fall on something. CRACK! Oh no, what emergency tool did I just crush?

AAAAAARRRRGHHHHH! IT BURNS! IT BURNS!

I quickly found it. I had broken open the ammonia capsule you use to wake up people who have fainted. Let's just say that those things really do work.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my! YUCK!

and on a side note our 72hr kits do not include some of the good things you mentioned... I need to add some things :)

Jillybean said...

Well, at least you know they work.

Vorquel said...

You're a witch!

Lois said...

SHILLIG -- yeah, and yours probably don't weigh a million pounds, either.

JILL -- oh yeah they work. They'll probably wake the dead.

VORQUEL -- I'm melting! Melting! What a world, what a world!

Tiffany said...

HAHAHAHA! Man am I glad that you share stories like that!

Lois said...

TIFFANY -- yes, I'm a total spaz.

Geo said...

If you're melting, can I have your broom? (Still without a car.)

Lois said...

GEO -- sorry, my broom is in the shop.