What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Pancakes!

In my quest to be frugal and save money, I've stopped giving my kids cold cereal (though they can have it on weekends -- and Jeffrey can have it in place of dinner since the boy hates everything) and try to make a nice, hot, healthy, home-made breakfast every morning.

Here is a super healthy pancake recipe from Mavis Diment (whoever she is, but thank you!) that I love (and more importantly, my KIDS love it):

HEARTY PANCAKE MIX
5 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour*
1 1/2 cups finely crushed cornflakes**
1 cup old-fashioned oats***
2 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp salt

Combine ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well. Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to 6 months. Yield: 5 batches.

*My kids love grinding wheat into flour -- they feel so "Little House on the Prairie"!
**I used Total cereal -- makes the pancakes even more nutritious.
***I didn't have old-fashioned oats, so I used quick oats -- I can't tell the difference.

PANCAKES
1 1/2 cups hearty pancake mix
1 1/2 cups milk
1 egg
1 Tbsp vegetable oil

In a bowl combine mix, milk, egg and oil. Whisk until just moistened. Pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto a lightly greased hot griddle. Turn when bubbles form on top of pancakes. Yield: 10 pancakes.

Caution: These are very filling, so one or two is usually the most any of us can eat.

7 comments:

Putz said...

hey lois common is back....with wonderful pancakes....how is yoyr primary job as opposed to your secondary jjobs???the church is still true eh????do we get some humor from you, or those wonderful outings with your extended kids???

Rynell said...

I do a similar pancake mix. I also make my kids oatmeal some mornings. They like is so much more than I ever did as a kid. They dig veggie omelettes too. I let them have cold cereal on the weekends.

Lois said...

PUTZ -- yes, I'm back.

RYNELL -- your kids will eat veggie omelettes? I can't even get mine to eat scrambled eggs! We cheat and have them drink vegetable/fruit juice to get their vegetables.

Millie said...

What's going on over there? Too full from pancakes to write? ;)

Lois said...

MILLIE -- sorry! I keep meaning to put my apricot syrup recipe on and I keep running out of time. Sorry!

L I S A said...

We're looking for a good pancake recipe. Sadly when Mike tries to make pancakes, they're a little dry. Hopefully this will end his not-so-yummy pancake streak. I'd love for him to take over breakfast making on the weekends.

Lois said...

LISA -- lately we've been making homemade waffles, too (using an antique waffle iron that my friend gave to me). This pancake recipe is yummy, but VERY filling.