What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Thursday, September 11, 2008

"He's such an apricot"

What could possibly top my yummy pancakes? Why, some delicious home-made apricot syrup, of course! This recipe is compliments of Shirley Fraser (again, whoever that is).

Apricot Syrup
Apricots (enough to make 4 cups when pureed)
1 cup water
3 Tb lemon juice
4 cups sugar

Puree apricots in a blender (can add some of the 1 cup water to make it easier to blend). Put pureed apricots and remaining water in a pan. Mix. Add in lemon juice and sugar. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil 5 minutes, continuing to stir.

Put in jars.* Put jars in canner with hot water. Make sure water covers an inch above jars. Bring to a rolling boil. Boil for 10 minutes.

*I don't do canning, so I just put half of it in my fridge and the other half in the freezer. We eat a lot of pancakes/French toast/waffles, so we went through it pretty fast.

Note: The title of this post comes from my college roommate who was from China. She was complaining about someone and said, "He's such an apricot." Sensing something was lost in the translation, I asked her what an "apricot" meant. She said, "You know, two faces." I was thinking, oh, I guess an apricot could look like it had two faces. Then as she continued to talk, I realized she was trying to say "hypocrite"! Now I always call hypocrites "apricots."

8 comments:

Geo said...

I can always count on you to help expand my vocabulary!

Millie said...

"Popcorn popping on the hypocrite tree"?

Lois said...

GEO -- that's what I'm here for.

MILLIE -- ooh, I like it!

elasticwaistbandlady said...

I'll be waiting patiently for your "Hypocrite Syrup" recipe. There's gotta be some sort of redeeming value to hypocrites. Might as well be in the form of syrup.

Lois said...

EWBLADY -- yum, piping hot hypocrite syrup. Nothing is better on a stack of pretentious pancakes.

Nigel said...

Hypocrite syrup should come in a clear plastic squeeze bottle, but instead of being shaped like a bear holding a honey pot, it could be shaped like your least favorite hypocrite.

Damn, I could've made a fortune during the primaries...

L I S A said...

Mmmm, sounds good. Have you tried making the syrup with other fruits? That might be fun to experiment!

Lois said...

NIGEL -- you are too funny.

LISA -- it's supposed to work just as well with peaches, but I haven't tried that yet. I do have strawberry and blueberry syrup, but that's just because my jam didn't set up right!