What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Friday, September 12, 2008

James Lipton -- "Marvelous!"

I mostly know James Lipton from those Geico commercials and Will Ferrell making fun of his "Inside the Actor's Studio" on "Saturday Night Live," but I recently found out that he has some other claims to fame.

Such as, he's married to the woman who was the original "Miss Scarlet" in the game of "Clue."
Also, I just discovered that he's written a book on collective nouns called "An Exaltation of Larks." If you're grammar-challenged like I am, a collective noun is what you call a group of things. Some of the most common ones are...
...a school of fish...
...a gaggle of geese...
...and a murder of crows (one of my favorites).

The first part of the book is what you would expect -- a boring treatise on the origins of collective nouns. But then it gets fun. It turns out that a lot of these terms came about through a game played by 15th century well-to-dos (with obviously a lot of time on their hands) who just sat around and came up with these sayings.

In that spirit, James Lipton fills up the remainder of the book with such delightful phrases as:

A pound of Englishmen, a pint of Irishmen, a fifth of Scots, a smorgasbord of Swedes.

A wave of Hawaiians, a mass of Bostonians, a spread of Texans, and a mush of Alaskans.

An unemployment of graduates, a charge of shoppers, and a flush of plumbers.

An ingratitude of children, a consternation of mothers, and a distraction of fathers.

A rash of dermatologists, a void of urologists, and a plague of epidemiologists.

An immersion of Baptists, a visit of Jehovah's Witnesses, and a book of Mormons.

Now it's your turn. What would you call a group of:

Firefighters? Hummingbirds? Unicorns? Shopping carts? Clowns?

12 comments:

Kricket said...

And who can forget his fabulous portrayal of the warden on Arrested Development?

dalene said...

I'll play:

A station of firemen.

A feeder of hummingbirds.

An extinction of unicorns.

A lot of shopping carts.

A red nose of clowns.

Nigel said...

-an alarm of firemen
-a zip of hummingbirds
-a legend of unicorns (obscure movie reference)
-a push of shopping carts
-a bozo of clowns

Lois said...

KRICKET -- oh my gosh, really? I missed that one. Got to get the whole series on DVD.

DALENE -- you are too funny.

NIGEL -- very clever.

Lois said...

James Lipton's answers:

A marvel of unicorns.

A shimmer of hummingbirds.

A samba of shopping carts.

A pratfall of clowns.

(He didn't have one for firemen -- I think Dalene's and Nigel's are better).

L I S A said...

Get out! Mr Lipton did it with Miss Scarlet in the Library?!?!? I had no idea.

Lois said...

LISA -- oh my goodness, that is too funny! You crack me up.

Lois said...

Here are mine:

A back draft of firemen.

A nectar of hummingbirds.

An okapi of unicorns.

A misalignment of shopping carts (because I always get the one with the broken wheel).

A terror of clowns.

dalene said...

Lisa made me laugh out loud.

Lois said...

DALENE -- I know! I can't believe the rest of us didn't think of that one. She is too funny.

Geo said...

Firefighters? Hummingbirds? Unicorns? Shopping carts? Clowns?

A soak of firemen.

A sip of hummingbirds.

A hornswaggle of unicorns.

A sale of shopping carts.

A shriek of clowns.

Lois said...

GEO -- you're always such a wordsmith.