What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Saturday, September 20, 2008

Speaking of apricots...

Why is it that when an individual or small business files for bankruptcy, they're horrible people and we look at them with disdain? They keep it a secret, but people still whisper things like "in over their heads," "living way beyond their means," "poor judgment," etc. In fact, we create new laws to make it harder to file for bankruptcy because "they got what they deserve and now need to face the music."

But when a huge corporation goes bankrupt (and I'm betting it's not because of a major medical expense or losing one's job), the government swoops in to save them. Of course, it helps if you REALLY screw up (as Lehman Brothers found out -- they were NOT bailed out by the government because they didn't fail as badly as Bear Stearns or Freddie Mac or Fannie Mae did).

People on welfare are "lazy," but corporations that receive millions in government subsidies are to be lauded?

I guess that if you're really poor or really rich, you can depend on the government to help you out (but you're looked down upon if you're poor, you're admired if you're rich).

Again, all of this is being paid for by the American middle class. No wonder the divide between rich and poor is widening in the US -- who can afford to be in the middle?

Note: A recent report showed that people making less than $30,000 a year would benefit under Barack Obama's proposed tax plan, people making more than $250,000 a year would benefit under John McCain's proposed tax plan -- neither plan helped out the middle class one bit.

6 comments:

Vorquel said...

That's messed up.

dalene said...

So you probably don't want me to tell you about the huge tax breaks those big corporations are getting by doing their business overseas and how you and I are subsidizing the outsourcing of jobs overseas just so we can get customer service from people who don't speak English.

Rainbows.

Unicorns.

Rainbows.

Unicorns.

(Did it go down a little better that time? *wink*)

Lois said...

VORQUEL -- good hearing from you! Sorry I didn't tell you sooner that I was blogging again.

DALENE -- are you serious? That's crazy! Wait a minute, let me put on my rose-colored glasses. There we go. Now I see the unicorns and rainbows.

Rynell said...

Glad you're blogging again.

It's sad when the middle class gets shafted. I'm having a very hard time liking either candidate.

Geo said...

Thanks for the new mantra:

Rainbows, unicorns, rainbows, unicorns . . .

Lois said...

RYNELL -- I know what you mean.

GEO -- that's my new mantra, too.