What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Don't Forget to Vote!

I don't think that I've ever missed voting in an election since I turned 18. It's not that I'm super politically minded, but it's more of my fear that if I don't vote every year, they may take my name off the polls and I'll have to register again (and I don't know how to register to vote).

Similarly, I had 100% attendance in junior high and high school. I found out years later that my brother, Henry, also had 100% attendance for the exact same reason ("Mom, I know I'm coughing up a lung and bleeding from my eyes, but I can't miss school, I don't even know where the office is!").

Also, I feel bad for the voting officials in my precinct. My area is full of college students, so none of them ever vote. Also, I vote in a car dealership. A CAR DEALERSHIP! Who votes in a car dealership? So the officials are always very excited whenever ANYONE shows up (Geo and C. Jane, you know what I'm talking about).

Plus, I always think of that British suffragette who threw herself in the middle of a horse race for "the cause." She throws herself in front of a horse and I can't get off my butt and vote? I think not.

So get out there and vote -- and be grateful that you can.

8 comments:

GrittyPretty said...

really she threw herself in front of a horse? okay, okay, i'll go vote. how is this as a reason to go vote: I like the "I voted" sticker they give you.
as a former election judge who maybe saw 10 people the entire day (and had to redirect them to the correct precinct) you actually do make their day by showing up.
Does the car dealership sic their sales people on you voters?

Lois said...

GRITTY PRETTY -- yeah, they always show it on History Channel.

I think it is some kind of plot to make you want to buy a new car while you're waiting in line to vote.

dalene said...

yes yes yes. I love to vote!

JandB said...

yay! i voted yesterday!

rabidrunner said...

We had so many people vote in my presinct (there's this whole voucher smoucher issue going on) that they had to create hand made "I voted" stickers - with masking tape and a sharpie.

Lois said...

CW -- yes, voting is awesome.

BECKS -- I'm so glad you voted! Yay!

RABIDRUNNER -- OK, I LOVE the hand made "I Voted" stickers. That is great. Wouldn't it be great if all the precincts had that problem?

Geo said...

I am currently retired poll manager, but I still remember the pain of an empty car dealership. (Yeah, I worked that one a few times.)

Lois said...

GEO -- I so loved seeing you there! That's the highlight of my voting experience! That, and being able to successfully drive my tank of a van through that car dealership without nicking a brand new jeep!