What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Monday, November 12, 2007

Leslie J. is My Hero

Leslie J. is so awesome, she makes me look past the fact that she used to be a cheerleader in high school (Leslie J.: "I was a cheerleader." C. Jane: "You were a cheerleader? You know what that means, don't you?" Leslie J.: "Yeah, that I'm peppy and full of spirit!" C. Jane: "No, that you're easy." -- oh, C. Jane you are also my hero) and was part of student council in college (BYUSSR -- oh, I mean BYUSA).

Anyway, Leslie J. is Jeffrey's primary teacher.

You've got to understand, Jeffrey HATES church. We would have to get him dressed while he was sleeping or he would catch on that it's Sunday. We would physically restrain him in the car and then literally drag him into the building. He would stick out his arms and legs and grip on to the door jamb and it would take both me and Nigel to pry him off and stick him in his chair.

After a while, we just gave up and let him stay home. Every week that Jeffrey missed church, Leslie J. would mail a note that she missed him (not hand deliver, not e-mail, but sit down and write a message, put it in an envelope, and mail it off).

After a few weeks, Jeffrey started going to church, just to see his teacher (Of course, it also helps that Leslie J. is totally gorgeous and all the boys in her class are in love with her). It's so great that Leslie J. speaks to her class like real people and is genuinely happy to see them each week.

One day while watching "Veggie Tales," Jeffrey turned to me and said, "You know what, Mom? I believe in God." What??? Is this the same boy that drew a picture of the temple on his poster of "Things I Hate" in preschool?

The icing on the cake was Stake Conference (known in our house as "let's sleep in Sunday"). Of course, I had to go to the adult session Saturday night because Leslie J. was speaking (she did awesome). I also went to the Sunday session and asked if any of the kids wanted to go. Frances and Alice-Grace declined, but Jeffrey piped up that he wanted to go. He sat through two hours of church, sang along with the songs, drew pictures of the people that spoke and at the end of the meeting, he turned to me and said, "Mom, I want to go to Stake Conference every time!"

I'm so very grateful for people like Leslie J. Thank you!!!

6 comments:

C. Jane Kendrick said...

I am a big fan of that Leslie J too. I saw miracles in my own life because of her. And as it turns out, she's not so easy after all.

Lois said...

C. JANE -- Yeah, Leslie is the best. I used to purposely sit at your and Leslie's table at RS just because you two are so funny together.

Mary Ann said...

Wait, wait WAIT! You mean C Jane is living right here in our own Vista Pathetica? I've read her blog, but figured she lived in some much cooler section of the Parvo. Impossibly small world.

Lois said...

MARY ANN -- alas, C. Jane USED to live in our fair area, but she has since moved away. We all miss her and Chup. When I miss them too much, I have to rent "Brigham City" to see her husband (I was rooting for him to be the murderer).

Geo said...

Does Leslie J. have room in her class for one more? I am going through sort of an awkward period . . . .

Lois said...

GEO -- I'm sure Leslie J. would love to have you! She's awesome.