What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Pay It Forward

I'm grateful for those people who go in and out of my life quietly, yet profoundly. They inspire me to follow in their footsteps and be a better person.

When I was a young "Sunbeam" in church, my Primary teacher and I shared the same birthday. That year she came by my house to bring me a card to celebrate "our" birthday.

But it didn't stop there. Every year on my birthday she came by my house to bring me a card. She did this for many, many years, and then the cards and visits stopped (I still don't know if she moved away or passed away and now I'm sad to say that I can't even remember her name).

A few years ago I found a girl who shares my birthdate. Now every year I go into her classroom at school and surprise her with a bag of candy or balloons or some special treat to celebrate "our" birthday.

I realize that she doesn't know my name or why I do this, and that's OK. What's important is that she knows that she's special and remembered -- just like I was.

5 comments:

Super Happy Girl said...

Aww, what a sweet thing to do.
Good for you :)

And gracias for visiting!

Elizabeth-W said...

That is a very simple thing, but that is what makes it such a neat idea. I'm gonna have to look around for some May babies.

Lois said...

NO COOL STORY -- loved your blog.

ELIZABETH W -- yeah, it's simple and easy to remember. Good luck finding a May baby!

Geo said...

Dang it. You're getting me all chokey again.

Lois said...

GEO -- chokey, is that like being put in the pokey?