What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Can-Can

So I just got back from the cannery. Don't you love the cannery? What an awesome idea. Set up a factory where people volunteer their time canning goods in exchange for the privilege of buying some of those canned goods (keeps the cost down, you help others, and you get stuff for you food supply in return). Brilliant.

Dry-pack canning is always tons of fun. Today I bought some dried onions (LOVE the dried onions), rice, potato pearls (yum), powdered milk (always nasty, but Nigel wanted it), dried refried beans and juice mix (I love their juice mix because you don't have to add sugar separately -- yes, I'm THAT lazy).

Wet-pack canning is sometimes fun, sometimes horrible. In past canning experiences, the most fun is being in charge of the mechanical pear peeler. Factory machines just amaze me. The horrible part is being three months pregnant and up to my elbows in raw turkey. I had to concentrate really hard to not have a "C Jane" moment.

I remember GEO's grandma talking about how much she enjoyed touring Welfare Square. I keep promising myself that I'll go there and take a tour. Maybe one of these days, but until then, I'll keep working at the cannery.

8 comments:

Am'n2Deep said...

I know it's probably a sin, but I have never worked in the cannery. I guess that's pretty un-Mormon of me...

Rynell said...

I like working in the cannery too. :)

Although..I had a little experience not unlike the Lucille Ball and the chocolates on the conveyor belt incident a few years ago. The worst part? It wasn't chocolates--it was beef chunks. So I couldn't just pop THOSE into my mouth to hide my assembly line deficiencies.

Carina said...

Wait, are you pregnant?

Lois said...

AMN2DEEP -- never worked in the cannery? I think you should have to pay 20 percent tithing!

RYNELL -- oh, oh! You're grimming me out with the beef chunks experience!

AZUCAR -- I'll have to go back and fix my blog so that I use the PAST tense (I was taught in English class to use the present tense -- you know, to make it more exciting). No, not pregnant. Wouldn't mind being pregnant, but only if I could travel back in time and do it in my 20s.

Carina said...

20s? In my family, we don't have babies in our 20s, we wait until our 30s at least, so that we don't arose any suspicion that we might be teen-moms.

Lois said...

AZUCAR -- I doubt that anyone would think that I'm a teen mom. My family tends to go from looking like you're 12 to looking like you're 40 overnight.

Just to make your point, the funniest was seeing a lady in my ward in a commercial for unwed pregnant teens -- I think she was about 27 at the time.

Geo said...

Welfare Square was like a religion to Gram. You oughta go, you'd love it. Plus, samples.

I remember the worst/best experience I had in the cannery involved peaches. I came out completely shiny and glued to myself. got to work right next to a very very very talkative girl and her mom. She worked at D.I. and I was forever running into her there (you know me and D.I.) and it was like old home week every time. Something magical (and dangerous) about those peaches.

Lois said...

GEO -- free samples? I'm definitely going to Welfare Square now.

Yes, the peaches are slimy. Pears are definitely better (for canning, not for eating -- I'm a peach girl through and through).