What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Monday, February 25, 2008

I know it's not the point of the story, but...

I love Queen Vashti. She was married to King Ahasuerus in the book of Esther in the Old Testament of the Bible.

The king was having a big party for all the men and Vashti was having a party for all the women in a different part of the palace. The king wanted Vashti to leave her party so that he could show off her beauty to all the guys at his party. She was busy having a great time with her girls, so she refused to come. Of course, this totally made the king look bad, so he made a law that the men will rule in his own house so that he could get rid of his disobedient wife.

Then, of course, Esther comes into the picture to replace Vashti (it doesn't say exactly what happened to her but I'm sure there's stones involved) and eventually Esther saves the Jewish people.

Now, I know that the point of the story is how Esther saved her people, but I can't help but love Vashti. Sure, she kind of ruined it for a bunch of women for years and years later, but I love that she didn't want to leave her own party just to be paraded around by her husband.

Vashti, you go girl.

9 comments:

GrittyPretty said...

"Vashti" was the appropriate name of my best friend's untameable horse. And she would buck my friend off every single time (but we didn't mind).

like you, we're die hard fans of Vashti.

dalene said...

Excellent post! Thank you.

p.s. I've been missing you at work lately. Where've you been?

debi9kids said...

That is great!
You're right, I bet some stones were involved.
But, she had a great time til then... the ultimate party woman!

Lois said...

GRITTY PRETTY -- oh, very appropriate. I think all horses should be named Vashti (or Lois Killer).

CW -- I decided to work only 40 hours this past week, so I was probably gone before you even came in to work.

BOUFMOM9 -- yes, party on!

Rynell said...

Vashti...a feminist martyr. Yes, I've admired her too.

I enjoyed all these posts. :)

b. said...

Ok, but I really really love Esther!!

Only 40 hours, huh?

Lois said...

RYNELL -- yeah, I never knew she existed until my cousin wanted to name her baby Vashti (she change her mind, by the way).

B -- yeah, only 40. What will I do with all my free time?

I love Esther, too. I just think it's fun to hear about why she needed to be queen. No one ever talks about Vashti.

Geo said...

I wonder what GNO was like in Vashti's day?

Lois said...

GEO -- I'm not sure, and I'm a little scared to even speculate.