What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

"Rick, help me, Rick!"

Once I went over to a friend's house and I noticed a goldfish swimming happily in a bowl. "Oh, that's Rick," my friend said.

Rick? Rick? Who names their goldfish Rick? Obviously, her five-year-old sister did.

I love odd pet names like this. Sure, some pet names are clever (like Yksuh, which we soon figured out was Husky spelled backwards) or witty (we used to have a cat named Xerox because she was black and white and a copy of her father). But I mostly love the wildly common human names that are given to pets. Now that's original!

My friend's husband names everything Dennis. Even his bicycle is named Dennis.

Oh, did I mention that Alice-Grace's dinosaur stuffed animal is named Russell? I love that.

10 comments:

dishes and laundry said...

I love human names for pets as well - we've had a Jeffrey dog and currently an Oliver dog.

On the other end of the pet naming spectrum, I have a friend who owns cats, but only for their ability to keep the mice at bay. She names every single one of them D-Con.

debi9kids said...

I have 3 dogs right now- Lucille, Molly & Dennis. We also have a pig named Sarah and had 2 guinea pigs named Jerry & Peter Parker. (sadly, they both passed away)
We also have a frog named Mr. Delabarca (after my daughter's principal)
ok, so my kids are strange and our animals are even stranger.

Rynell said...

We had a dalmation named Stripe.

(Yes, he was white with black spots.)

The MacMizzles said...

I have a cat named Max. He's 30 pounds.

rabidrunner said...

I had a chow-chow named Norman. But we called him "Norm".

Geo said...

I made biscuits once and one of them came out of the oven looking exactly like a truck driver. We named it Mack and kept it around the kitchen till it petrified.

Jillybean said...

My two year old has a stuffed bear he named Bob.
He has another stuffed bear he named Bob Bob.
He has a stuffed frog he named Bobby.
Before he discovered the name Bob, he called all of his stuffed animals "Woof"

XANA-DIVA-DELUX said...

I've had all kinds of pets. Most of them with pretty ridiculous names. I am going to remember to use human names like HANK. Maybe they will obey me that way.

dalene said...

How do you prononounce Yksuh? The first pet I got to name was my dog "Spike." Spike is a great name for just about any pet (except maybe a bunny rabbit) and even for some questionable boys one's teenage daughter might have her eyes on.

Lois said...

D&L -- love the cat names, too funny.

BOUFMOM9 -- yes, those are great names for your pets!

RYNELL -- oh my gosh, that's hilarious!

McMILLANS -- 30 pounds? What the heck are you feeding it? Bowling balls?

RABIDRUNNER -- I LOVE that! Hey, isn't there a football coach named Norman Chow? Or am I making things up (I'm so nonathletic)?

GEO -- what? What? How does a biscuit look like a truck driver?

JILL -- love the consistency.

XANA -- yeah, I don't think it matters what you name them, they still won't obey.

CW -- yes, Spike is always good, especially for teenage boyfriends.