What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Thursday, February 7, 2008

Ode to Otis

I love elevators. As a child, they were forbidden. My mother, Dot, is incredibly claustrophobic and the idea of willingly going into a small metal box with the doors slowly closing on her was just too much. So for us, it was the stairs or the escalator.

Now that I'm older, I go on elevators every chance I get. You get to push buttons, they light up, you get a free ride, what could be better than that?

I especially like getting in a crowded elevator and facing toward the other riders and not toward the doors. It really creeps them out and there's nothing they can do or nowhere they can go. It's great.

Once I made my old high school friends drive me to downtown LA so I could ride the glass elevators that run OUTSIDE the Bonaventure Hotel. Fabulous!

Every time I go to Las Vegas, I want to ride in the inclinators at the Luxor, but they only let you on if you have a room there. Darn!

Now that I'm a mother, I'm scared to death of escalators. Ever carry a very wiggly baby on an escalator? I'm so scared of dropping the kid over the side. Now my kids beg to go on the escalator and I always make them ride in the elevator. I guess I am turning into my mother (now if I can just figure out how to grow corn on the roof).

10 comments:

Jillybean said...

When I was a teenager, we went on vacation with my aunt and uncle, and my uncle said how silly he thought it was that everyone in the elevator turns around to face the door, so for the rest of the trip, whenever we got in an elevator, we faced the back (all 8 of us!)
I love that you do that! I also love the strange looks that people give us when we do that.
I'm training my children to do the same.
I also have a hard time with the escalators. I'm sure that my toddler will some day be sucked into the evil teeth at the bottom.

Am'n2Deep said...

My 11 year old is totally scared of escalators. (This just tells you how often we have frequented the mall in her years.)

Lois said...

JILL -- your uncle is awesome! Yes, the evil teeth are scary -- especially because my kids are so fascinated by them and have to put their FACES right there!

AMN2DEEP -- I'm with her. We'll be taking the elevator together.

Monica B. said...

When I was little we had an apartment building down the street that had 2 sets of elevators. We used to go down there and play elevator tag. So much fun. Until one day my cousin got stuck in the elevator and the fire department had to come rescue him. It took 3 hours. We were forbidden from going down their ever again.

dalene said...

My best elevator story was when I was a junior in high school and we went to Washington, D.C. It was my first time back East and we were from a small town so it was a big deal. We were in the Kennedy Center and someone in our group pulled the alarm. We tried to play it nonchalant like we had no idea there was an alarm blaring but we didn't get any academy awards.

debi9kids said...

LOL! I love that you turn around and face the people to freak them out!

Lois said...

MONICA B -- is your cousin totally freaked out by elevators now?

CW -- you are too funny.

BOUFMOM9 -- yeah, in my Communications class in college we had to do all these experiments on personal space and that was one of them. See, I did learn something useful!

b. said...

I like to face the wrong way too.

One time we admitted a kid who got her hands ground up in the escalator....I haven't been the same since. They make my hiney cringe.

Geo said...

Lois, leave it to you to blaze the way toward improved elevator relations. I'm going to follow your example.

Lois said...

B -- what? what? Oh, I'm totally grossing out. Now I'm REALLY freaked out by escalators!

GEO -- not quite so sure I'm blazing any trails since my kids use the handles as jungle gym bars and spend the whole time riding in the elevator upside-down.