What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Saturday, February 16, 2008

Meow, Meow, Meow, Meow

I love kittens, but I'm not too sure they love me.

When I was growing up, it seemed like we always had kittens around. If our cat wasn't having them, then people were leaving them on our doorstep. It got to the point where you were afraid to open your closet for fear of what you would find (our cat had kittens in my sister, Myrna's, shoes and once in my clothes hamper -- on top of my brand new school clothes).

I'm blaming it on the fact that it was the 1970s and there were no Animal Planet shows to instruct me on correct animal care, but I was horrible to those poor kittens. If I wasn't dressing them up in doll clothes, I was lacing them up in my roller skates and scooting them across the linoleum.

In full disclosure, the worst was when I used to eat a tuna fish sandwich and then put a kitten's head in my mouth and let it lick the tuna off my teeth. Ooh! I'm grossing out just thinking about it. What was wrong with me?

Just know that I have since worked a stint in a veterinary hospital, my cats are neutered/spayed and get all their shots and check-ups, and let's not even talk about tuna...

7 comments:

debi9kids said...

LOL! That is the grossest thing ever! Letting them eat the tuna from your teeth! Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Am'n2Deep said...

You win the award for "full disclosure"! But since we're telling gross kitten tales--I grew up with kittens all around too. One day, when I reached in to pull out a new baby kitten from a stack of old blankets in the garage, I pulled out nothing but a kitten head! Talk about trauma! Even worse was when our dog bit holes in the baby kittens--not killing them, but leaving a place for flies to lay their eggs. Yes...maggots. I couldn't bear letting them die, so we had to get special medicine, pour it on the wounds, and pull out as many maggots as we could until the wounds healed over! I know: S I C K!!! Okay, I'm done...promise.

Am'n2Deep said...

Sorry... :(

Geo said...

I was about to tell you some dumb thing, but after reading Am'n's comment I think I am going to dry heave for a while instead.

Am'n2Deep said...

I'm REALLY sorry....again!!!


Maybe I should delete me comment?

The MacMizzles said...

I love kittens too. I used to bring home all kinds of cats. My parents were thinking of calling our house an animal shelter at one point.

I used to love to pull on their whiskers.

you really are the funniest.

Lois said...

BOUFMOM9 -- yeah, I think there was something wrong with me.

AMN2DEEP -- oh my goodness! That is so gross! The only bad part is if you've been around kittens enough, we all have stories like that. Sad. No, you can't delete your comment! It makes my "tuna" story seem so much less sick by comparison!!!

GEO -- have fun puking!

McMILLANS -- pull on their whiskers? I hope not too hard.