What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Boo to the Big Box

I hate those big box stores: Wal-Mart, K-Mart, ShopKo, Target, etc. Doesn't matter which one it is, I always have the same problems (OK, so I shouldn't lump Wal-Mart in this category since I'm proud to say that I have never in my life stepped foot in a Wal-Mart). Have you had these same experiences?

BAIT AND SWITCH SALES
I get a flier in the mail advertising my favorite video for only $5. I go to the store and they don't have any. It isn't that they're sold-out, they never had any. The salesman tells me that only one store in the entire state got ONE copy. Why advertise it? "Oh, to get you in the store," he says.

NO SELECTION
Sure the store has TVs, ramen noodles, jackets and fishing poles all under one roof (which I think is so not kosher -- you shouldn't be able to buy milk and clothing at the same place), but just try to find some variety per item. I had to buy a full slip for my new job, so I reluctantly went to one of these hated stores. The sales girl told me they don't have any full slips, and they only had one style of half slip and it only came in one size. WHAT???

CLUELESS SALESPEOPLE
Just try to get some information from the salespeople at these places. They haven't a clue. It's either not their department or they just don't know anything. It drives me crazy -- like the salesman who told me I didn't need to measure the space in my kitchen for a new dishwasher because all dishwashers are exactly the same size (yeah, tell that to the installation guy who had to warp my counter to shove it in there).

Conversely, last night I had to get my daughter some snow clothes for an upcoming ski day. I could've gone to one of these mega-marts and gotten some cheap stuff, but since I had no idea as to what I was buying, I needed some guidance. I went to a small outdoors shop up the street and the salesman knew what he was talking about, let my daughter try everything on (including socks and long underwear) to make sure they fit and even gave me a discount at the register just in case she ended up not liking skiing.

When was the last time a big box did that for you?

10 comments:

Am'n2Deep said...

I must admit that I give into the lower prices and convenience of being able to purchase a variety of items in one store. However, truth be told, I really can't stand the service, or should I say lack of service at these stores, either. I too have had similar exeriences.

I told my husband if he gets this job he's applying for, I am so going back to grocery shopping at our nice, quiet, friendly neighborhood grocery store. I can't wait!!

GrittyPretty said...

Boo to Big Box stores! YAY for Lois's blog! I love reading all your thoughts.

Geo said...

Oh, I lived the big box half-slip nightmare too. I feel your pain!

Lois said...

AM'N2DEEP -- hope everything goes well with the neighborhood grocery store! Do they even have neighborhood grocery stores anymore?

GRITTY PRETTY -- glad you like my thoughts.

GEO -- yeah, what is it with slips?

Am'n2Deep said...

Well, it's a market named after the small town we live in, within 2 minutes of my home, all the workers are familiar, friendly, and helpful, and they bag your groceries and bring them out to the car--I had forgotten how nice that was until last week when I threw caution to the wind on the budget and did my shopping there.

Rynell said...

I wholeheartedly agree with you. I too have felt the frustration of a fruitless half (long) slip search.

Blues Greene said...

Good for you; not one trip to a Wal Mart. As you may know there is a huge price to pay for the illusion of paying lower prices at those kinds of stores. (See an article entitled "The Wal Mart You Don't Know." Just Google the title and it should appear.
If you ever get some excellent customer service these days, make a big deal about it. Many stores have forms you can fill out to commend their employees. Just reinforcing that kind of unexpected pleaure is as good as a random act of kindness.

Am'n2Deep said...

Case and point: Today I went to Wal Mart in desperate need of a pair of shoes for my 4 year old. The only acceptable pair of shoes (meaning literally the ONLY shoe in her size that didn't have Dora the Explorer plastered all over it), were too high for me to reach. I was in a huge hurry, and I didn't have time search out an employee, but right next to me was a step stool. I climbed up, got the shoes, and just as I climbed down, an employee came around the corner and in a very rude tone said, "You're not supposed to get up on those!" I responded, "I'm sorry, I couldn't see anyone close by, and I couldn't reach." Still with the rude, and I might add, snotty tone, she came back with, "Well, I was just around the corner." I am usually nice to a fault, but I must admit that I snapped right back and said, "Nice customer service skills."

I understand there are rules for good reasons. However, the deed was already done, and it doesn't help to scold the customer. How about, "Oh maam, I'm so sorry, I could have gotten those for you."

Plus I'm guessing, if that really is a no-no, she's probably not supposed to be leaving the step stool out in the isle anyway!

Am I just grumpy?

Am'n2Deep said...

Oh my gosh, have I left THREE comments on this post already? Oh...now four...sorry!

Lois said...

AM'N2DEEP -- I agree with ALL your comments.

RYNELL -- does no one wear slips anymore? What's up with that?

BLUES GREENE -- you're preaching to the choir. I so agree with you. I do try to praise good customer service when I can. Thanks for the reminder!