What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Monday, December 17, 2007

Ladies Who Lunch

Sometimes my husband surprises me.

Like the time I commented briefly about how much I liked so-and-so's hair. For my birthday, he had called so-and-so, got the name of her hairdresser, made an appointment for a cut and color (back in the days when I did cut and color -- now I go gray and let Frances do the cutting), and paid for it.

I always complain that my favorite Mexican restaurant with the mango salsa no longer exists. He researched on the Internet and found another Mexican restaurant that served mango salsa. Then for my birthday, he arranged for my dearest friends and family to be at that restaurant for all of us to have a special lunch together.

There I was with my sister, Lorna, my nieces Babs and Ginger, and old friends, co-workers, and neighbors. What a great time we had. From the owner who refused to take our order ("No, you don't want that. You want this. No, this is much better. Don't order that.") to my friend talking about wanting a Prozac lick in her kitchen, to Lorna knowing a little TOO much about poison -- we laughed until our sides ached.

Thank you, Nigel, for making my birthday so special and for knowing that I needed that. Sometimes you just need a good lunch with your best girlfriends to realize how lucky you are.

8 comments:

Elizabeth-W said...

Nigel sounds like a dream--a man who hears what you want more than you can even really articulate!

Lois said...

ELIZABETH W -- yeah, most of the time he's in his own little world, but every once in a while he surprises me.

Geo said...

But you're a vital part of that little world. Go, Nigel!

And I'm awfully glad to part of your circle of friends!!

Lois said...

GEO -- you're the best!

dalene said...

I love that you had such a great day (and a double dose of geo, to boot!)

Lois said...

CW -- how could it NOT be a good day with a double dose of GEO?

Am'n2Deep said...

Did I already tell you I am a Nigel fan? Yup, I think so. That lois gal is pretty cool too. So glad you had a very happy birthday!

Lois said...

AMN2DEEP -- yeah, I'll add you to the long list of Nigel fan club members.