What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Monday, December 10, 2007

Hair Apparent

I occasionally work right next to one of those kiosks in the middle of the mall that sells curling irons. You know, the one where the women from some unknown country accost you and try to force you to let them straighten and/or curl your hair? I don't know what human trafficking ring they're enslaved to, but these women sell their little hearts out (are there curling iron "pimps" out there that'll put the hurt on them if they don't make their quota?).

Anyway, I'm overhearing one of them doing her best sales pitch to the father of the girl she's curling at the moment and he asks her how much it costs. She replies, "One-seventy."

WHAT???

Now I hope she meant $1.70, because if I'm going to spend $170.00 on a curling iron, it better magically give me the ability to speak at least two romance languages every time I use it.

The worst is if you balk at the price, they kick you out of the chair with only half your hair curled/straightened. So now there's a multitude of women (and sometimes men) walking around the mall with very bad hair -- but not speaking a lick of Italian or French.

5 comments:

Rynell said...

Probably a Chi...they are pricey.

Lois said...

RYNELL -- I'm so hair ignorant, I don't even know what a Chi... is. Did I mention that my nine-year-old daughter cuts my hair? Oh, that's for another blog.

Elizabeth-W said...

I thought Chi was something related to energy?

Geo said...

Chi don't come free.

Lois said...

ELIZABETH W -- exactly. Maybe I can get a chakra hair-dryer?

GEO -- you said it, sister!