What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Monday, December 10, 2007

HO HO HO

Because of my seasonal part-time job, I get to spend a lot of time at the mall. I work right by a women's clothing store that fills their front window with strappy, metallic, stiletto shoes. Not being a shoe person myself, I don't quite understand the allure of these podiatrist's nightmares, but their "Strumpet Trumpet" must be calling pretty loudly because females from age 6 to 106 head a bee-line to this store.

I even observed one woman who parked her stroller full of kids outside the store so she could try on pair after pair of these heels. Luckily I consider myself a "watcher of all things smaller than me," so I kept a sharp eye on them -- at least until her shoe fetish feelings were satisfied and she returned to her children.

I know they're pretty and sexy and all of that, but not after seeing all these women limping through their shopping excursions because they just could not be seen in public in sensible flats.

7 comments:

Rynell said...

I totally agree. I am for sensible shoes. Unfortunately I have a lot of them.

Lois said...

RYNELL -- I love a good pair of heels, but not for shopping in (unless I'm shopping for a new husband) and not for leaving my children alone in the middle of the mall for.

Elizabeth-W said...

I have always been a heel wearer because I am short, and because they make my stubby legs look only slightly less stubby when wearing dresses. However, since being called to Nursery, my footwear is all about comfort. My favorite not-heel shoes are Borns.

Geo said...

Limping is the new black.

Lois said...

ELIZABETH W -- I have daikon radish legs (go to your local Chinese market and check out the daikons) and even heels don't help. Yes, my ankles are the same circumference as my thighs. Shapely, I am not.

GEO -- you crack me up!

Elizabeth-W said...

Lois, I do know what a daikon is. And, I recently posted a pic of my legs which haven't been shaved in two months.

Lois said...

ELIZABETH W -- I checked out your legs (hm, that doesn't sound too good) and the picture with the dinosaur is hilarious.