What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Sunday, December 30, 2007

New Year's Memory #2

Our friends throw a big New Year's Eve party every year. It's a lot of food, fun and friends. It's especially awesome because you can bring your kids (don't have to find a sitter -- yay!).

One year we decided to leave a little bit before midnight because it was starting to snow. We were about a quarter of the way home when the snow really started coming down. The snow was so heavy that it broke our windshield wipers! There they were, spinning around crazily like a baton twirler in the Miss America pageant.

Since it was New Year's Eve, no place was open for us to call for help (this was before my infamous "flat tire" incident that prompted our finally getting a cell phone). At one point we parked underneath a car wash car port to wait out the storm.

We ended up driving home at about 10 miles per hour with the windows down so that Nigel and I could stick our heads out to see the road ahead. Our poor kids were freezing to death.

Yes, we did make it home in one piece (though the windshield wipers did not). Needless to say, I think we'll stay in this New Year's Eve.

6 comments:

dalene said...

I am a complete homebody on New Year's Eve, whatever the weather.

(And I'm glad you have a cell phone now, for emergencies.)

Lois said...

CW -- yeah, it would be good if I ever remembered to bring my cell phone with me.

Lois said...

NIGEL -- oh, now you've made my cute little story sound TRAGIC and HORRIBLE! So, it was, but I prefer my cute version. Oh, time to put on my rose-colored glasses again.

Am'n2Deep said...

Denial, lois, denial!

Hope you had nice warm and dry New Year's at home!

Lois said...

AMN2DEEP -- yes, denial isn't just a river in Egypt, it's my way of life!

Lois said...

NIGEL WROTE:

Lois left out some of the best/worst stuff. Like how the snow was these huge globs of slush coming down in blizzard quantities. How we had to stop frequently to clean the windows. How we were parked by a housing development trying to fix the wipers and people would slow down and stare, but if I asked to use a phone they'd zip away like scared kitties. How we kept stopping along the way thinking "Surely this restaurant (or car wash, or motel, or gas station) will be open and/or have a pay-phone, and none of them did! How NONE of those extra police officers that were supposed to be looking out for drunk drivers were around at midnight, but they'd been everywhere earlier that evening. How we finally limped to a gas station that was open AND had a pay-phone, but the slush had flooded the parking lot with a foot of water and we were afraid we'd really get stranded. How we crossed our fingers as we floated (literally) through the intersection by said gas station hoping we wouldn't stall. By the time we'd limped from one point to another, we suddenly found ourselves about 90% of the way home and decided we could do without AAA or a tow-truck.

January 2, 2008 11:26 PM

(Sorry Nigel, I had to make a small alteration to your comment and delete the original one)