What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Monday, December 3, 2007

Santa's Dead

As I'm in the twilight between awake and sleep last night, I hear this conversation transpire in the living room between my two younger children and my husband:

Alice-Grace: Mom told us Santa was dead.

Nigel: What?

Jeffrey: Yeah. Mom told us Santa was dead.

Nigel: She did not.

Alice-Grace: She did. For reals.

Jeffrey: Santa is dead.

My last thought as I drift off to sleep is, "Oh Lois, you're going to burn in hell for this one."

OK, since some people were worried in my last post, let me state that Santa does come to our house, but just to fill the stockings. But for some reason, my kids totally ignore the stockings and I have to practically force them to look there. I guess Santa only counts if he leaves big huge presents. It isn't like the stockings are filled with rocks or peanuts in the shell (that's for another blog) or something, Santa brings fun stuff like Kindereggs and Pez.

So this year I've decided to steal one of Rena's traditions and have my kids play Santa Claus (since he's passed away and all). She has each one of her kids put on a Santa hat in the middle of the night and put a secret treat in the stockings. My kids seem to be excited about the idea, so we'll see how it goes.

And just for the record, I told them that St. Nicholas who Santa Claus is based on is dead.

8 comments:

rena said...

your problen is that you waited until they understood Santa = candy+gifts GIVEN to them.
We started this from the beginning, so to our kids, Santa = "playing" Santa giving candy + gifts.
( Do I sound too analitical?)

Lois said...

RENA -- yeah, you also told your kids that the ice-cream man was just some guy who liked to play his stereo really loud. Don't you think they're going to catch on?

Am'n2Deep said...

Well you just gave me something to think about for the next time my daughter chews me out for lying to her about Santa (which she did today).

"I just want you to tell me the truth mom!"

"Okay, honey, I'll tell you. I didn't tell you before because I didn't want to make you sad. Honey, Santa is dead."

Am'n2Deep said...

I'm much better at dealing with grief than covering up lies.

Rynell said...

My hubby dispelled the Santa myth when the kids ask. I've threatened him not to ruin it for my 4 year old this year. This is the first and only year he's ever been interested in Santa. And it will probably be the last year. Now if I can get the older two (8 & 7 years old) to keep their mouths shut.

We give them one gift from Santa. Then my hubby takes the gift tag off before they see who it was from. I guess I'm only kidding myself.

Geo said...

Hey, Rena's idea is great!

I respect you salmon-types, swimming upstream and all.

Elizabeth-W said...

We sent a Christmas picture in which we three girls were dressed for church,and my heathen husband was in his bathrobe--now if that ain't showing things as they is, I don't know what else to do (that was supposed to go on another post but I put it here b/c I'm lazy).

We are cutting back this year. One Santa present, and one from us. The girls will each get each other one little thing.
My 7 year old is 100% clear on things now, but I have told her she needs to keep her thoughts (aka big fat mouth) to herself for one more year (I have a 4 year old who realllly believes.)
Don't you love it when your words get twisted beyond recognition? That happens to me all the time.

Lois said...

AM'N2DEEP -- you are too funny. I tell them that the original Santa is dead and other people fill his place. They don't much care, they just want presents.

RYNELL -- my mother used to put the presents from "Santa" under the tree like a week before Christmas. She didn't do much to propagate the myth. Good luck with the 4-year-old!

GEO -- I'll let you know how Rena's idea goes.

ELIZABETH W -- love the picture! That is too funny. Good luck with your 4-year-old believing!