What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Thursday, December 27, 2007

Visions of Sugar Plums...

Last year we started a tradition of making gingerbread houses.

OK, this is ME doing it, so I don't make gingerbread. We just use graham crackers, various candies and Dot's recipe for icing (butter, milk, vanilla, powdered sugar, food coloring).

Last year Jeffrey made a gingerbread motorhome.

This year he made the scene from "The Polar Express" where the train was breaking though the ice into the water before it got back on the tracks. Of course, in his interpretation, some of the children had fallen into a whirlpool and were being eaten by piranhas.

Now THAT's Christmassy!

7 comments:

Monica B. said...

We love graham cracker houses, but I discovered that candy bar trains are much MUCH easier to make and funner to eat. You should try it.

Geo said...

Yeah, Roger Korman Christmassy.

Lois said...

MONICA B -- OK, I'm LOVING the candy bar train idea. Much less icing and a lot more tasty. I'm definitely going to do that one next year.

GEO -- scary, isn't it?

dalene said...

You know I just wish they'd make kits with just the gingerbread, because half the fun is designing the house!

Lois said...

CW -- I've seen the gingerbread house kits, but the directions all say things like "snap the gingerbread along the lines." Yeah, when was the last time something you "snapped along the lines" actually broke in the right place? I don't want to put up with the weeping, wailing, gnashing of teeth that's sure to ensue.

Am'n2Deep said...

Don't you just love boys?

Lois said...

AMN2DEEP -- yes, I love my boy.