What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

A Rose By Any Other Name...

Another big box "full slip" experience today. I went from store to store trying to find a charger that does AA, AAA, C, D and 9-volt batteries. The stores would have some of the batteries, but not the charger; or they would have the charger, but not the rechargeable batteries. I was about to give up when a salesperson suggested, "Have you tried the battery store?" What? There's a battery store? We went there and the staff was friendly, knowledgeable, and they had exactly what I wanted. They now have a loyal customer for life.

Also went to Toys "R" Us, which my mother always referred to as Toys "R" Ours. She could never get the name straight.

My friend's grandma always called ShopKo, Shop-OK.

I love people who put a "the" in front of words. Such as The Food 4 Less or The Macey's.

My kids refer to Carl's Jr. as Star Burger.

When Frances was little, she always wanted to go to Donald King -- yeah, I can't tell them apart, either (though now my kids know that McDonald's has better toys).

Dot also calls the I-Max theater The Maxi. As in, "Are you going to see the Maxi?" Very humorous when we're in mixed company.

Nigel's father used to refer to Dunkin' Donuts as Drunken Donuts.

I think the funniest was my elderly neighbors who were big "Wheel of Fortune" fans. Every night the wife would yell to her husband, "Edward, Edward! 'Oh Vanna' is on!"

7 comments:

dalene said...

Well. technically if you dunk 'em then they're drunk-en.

Elizabeth-W said...

I always/usually refer to BYU as The BYU. I'd never heard anything the'ed before I moved to Deseret.

Geo said...

One of my favorite places in town to shop is Chaos—as opposed to Chao's.

rabidrunner said...

Don't you mean THE Deseret?

We like to put a little spin on food. For example, we serve the kids rot dogs and mac 'n yak (also referred to as "yellow death"). We also love it when things happen automagically.

Lois said...

CW -- hey, you're right!

ELIZABETH W -- yes, The BYU is a great one.

GEO -- Nigel also calls it Chaos.

RAPIDRUNNER -- I love "automagically." We like to look deep in people's eyes and "mesperize" them.

Am'n2Deep said...

My oldest daughter, up until she was about 6 used to say, "No I amn't!" We never bothered to correct her. It made sense anyway, right?

We call dairy queen food, Gee-Dunk food. "Hey, guys let's gee-dunk it tonight for dinner!"

Lois said...

AMN2DEEP -- I love Gee Dunk. Especially the way you use it in a sentence.