What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Monday, December 17, 2007

In the Company of Women

I feel energized, rejuvenated, inspired. Why? Because of the company of women.

The other morning I went to a delicious breakfast celebrating the birthday of a woman we all love and adore (and seems to always weave her way in and out of my life). How wonderful that someone who has never met me would allow me into her home, cook breakfast for me, and then read a book aloud to the woman of honor that left us all in tears.

So many other women were there. Some I know very well, some I know as acquaintances, some I know through blogging, and some I only know because they know my sister, Lorna. It's a good thing that Lorna is totally awesome and loved by all who meet her, because it made them welcome me into their fold with open arms and open hearts.

What a fun time we had eating, talking, sharing, hitting a boot pinata with symbolic rolls of Christmas wrapping paper, invading a neighbor's home to see her Christmas decorations (which has since inspired me), and just being there to listen to each other's triumphs and foibles.

Sometimes in the madness of going to work, taking care of my children, avoiding cleaning the house, and supporting my husband in his endeavors, I lose sight of who I am. Thank you, women, for bringing that back to me.

8 comments:

Elizabeth-W said...

When I read these kind of posts, and know exactly what you're talking about, I sometimes wonder if,...if you could pick the crowd, maybe that whole pliggy thing wouldn't be so bad. I don't know if I'd get any work done b/c B. and I would be getting ourselves into too much trouble. I don't know...I just think that being with women, taking the time to feed ourselves in that way has got to be one of the healthiest gifts we can give ourselves.

Lois said...

ELIZABETH W -- I sooo agree with all that you said.

Geo said...

Let's don't wait too long to have another pliggy party.

Lois said...

GEO -- yes, that was way fun.

dalene said...

OK so now you all are cracking me up. It was a good good day and I'm so happy I could share a birthday celebration with you.

Lois said...

CW -- that was very gracious of you to share. Thanks!

Am'n2Deep said...

It was such a good day! Meeting everyone in person just made me love them all the more. I'm with you and e-dub, taking time out in this way is a healthy gift.

Lois said...

AMN2DEEP -- yeah, at first it was a little surreal for me. It was like meeting the Easter Bunny or something. And then I couldn't remember which person went with which blog. It was so much fun, though. Glad I can now put some faces to all the terrific writing!