What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Thursday, December 27, 2007

"A Christmas Story"

So we spent the day watching "A Christmas Story" (they were running a 24-hour marathon) and Frances' favorite part is when Ralphie is helping his father change the flat tire and says "fudge." Shortly thereafter, this conversation transpired between her and I:

"Mom, you and dad say the F-word all the time."

"What? We do? When do we ever say that?" (OK, I can totally see Nigel saying it, but me? Never)

"Yeah, but it's OK because you use it the other way. You know, like when the D-word is OK to say sometimes." (As in "damn" and beaver "dam")

"I don't get what you're saying. When is the F-word ever OK to say?"

Exasperated, Frances rolls her eyes at me and says, "You know, when you FLIP the pancakes."

I'm blaming "Napoleon Dynamite."

8 comments:

Monica B. said...

I love the innocence. My daughter told me that a G rated movie that she saw was full of bad words, because they used the lords name in vane. I'm glad she thinks of that and Dam as bad words.

Geo said...

Has she called anybody a "bodaggit" yet?

Rynell said...

That is funny--sounds like something my kids would say...

Lois said...

MONICA B & GEO & RYNELL -- yes, too funny. I wonder how much longer she'll believe "flip" is a bad word.

In our family, we consider "stupid" a bad word. This sometimes gets us in trouble when one of the kids yells out in Sacrament Meeting, "Mom, he called me the S-word!"

dalene said...

Ah the innocence of youth. Long may it last!

Lois said...

CW -- yes, if only it could last.

Am'n2Deep said...

lol!!!

The "F-word" at our house: Fat.

Lois said...

AMN2DEEP -- Maybe you should change it to the PH word: Phat, baby!