What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Sunday, December 2, 2007

Presents of Mind

I never know how to do presents with my kids. When they were really little, Nigel and I would just buy whatever and stick it under the tree. Frances would open one or two gifts and be done. She had no interest in anything else (Jeffrey and Alice-Grace just ate the wrapping paper). So we would put some presents aside to save for later or for their birthdays.

My friend told me that her kids get three presents each -- an article of clothing, a toy, and a book. This sounded like a good idea for us. After all, if three presents was good enough for baby Jesus, it's good enough for my kids. Well, I didn't count on all the presents from the grandparents, teachers, etc. Again, the kids were overwhelmed with so many presents and we were still putting some aside for birthdays.

Now we pick names out of a hat and each person buys ONE present for another member of the family. That seems to be working so far.

But then, last year my kids noticed that Santa never brought them presents. Oops!

9 comments:

Claire said...

In our family, we also have three gifts per child on Christmas morning. One gold (something the kids strongly desire), one frankincense (a tool for worship, usually a CD, bible story book, or something to draw them closer in their walk with the Lord), and one myrrh (a body adornment, so we get them something to wear. This year it's hockey skates for our son, and a pretty princess dress for our daughter). We skirt the Santa issue by having stockings (filled with apples, oranges, a bit of candy, and one or two small presents. This year it will be a stuffed animal and matching book from the school's book fair. It takes some thought, and some planning, and some explaining (we don't want them to miss the spiritual significance), but it works for us. It's our tradition!

Carina said...

Why can't santa bring full stockings?

Am'n2Deep said...

Oops!! Dang that Santa!

You know, a couple of years ago, our children started only receiving one present from Santa, and TWO from mom and dad--is it selfish to want to squeeze out a little extra credit? We need all the help we can get, I say! :)

Geo said...

Better nothing than the dreaded lump of coal.

Lois said...

CLAIRE -- I love that tradition! How fun and what a good way to remember what Christmas is really about. I know you must be awesome because I saw on your profile that you're from Minnesota. I have a special affinity for people from Minnesota.

AZUCAR -- Santa does bring stockings, but my kids tend to overlook this fact for some reason.

AM'N2DEEP -- Love this idea. Still the three presents, but you throw Santa in there, too. Great!

GEO -- with the cost of fossil fuels these days, coal might be a good idea!

Claire said...

:) Thanks for the props to Minnesota. I grew up here, spent some time on the West Coast to find my husband, and moved back before the kids were born. We didn't like life without seasons!

Lois said...

CLAIRE -- I agree. You definitely need seasons, though my brother used to say that there are only two seasons in Minnesota: Winter and Construction.

Claire said...

I guess I look on the brighter side! Winter, although long, is only one season. Road construction goes through winter, also! Our Springs, April and May, are beautiful here, and watching for the first robins and other spring animals is part of the fun. Our kids love seeing the first bulbs shoot up, also. Then there are the hot summers, June, July and August, when we hit the beach and play outside for all we're worth. In the Autumn months, the colors are beautiful and the air is crisp. Our favorite times are going apple picking, and playing in the leaf piles. We can handle winter November through March (although this November was much more like fall. Winter didn't hit until December 1).

Lois said...

CLAIRE -- I've only been to Minnesota once, but I loved it. So beautiful. As someone who just moves from one desert to another, I'm always so excited when I get to see TREES! You're very lucky.