What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Feliz Navidad

Jeffrey is my Christmas baby. I remember being in the hospital and hearing all the other new moms being surrounded by family and friends. Nigel was home taking care of Frances and everyone else was busy getting ready for their holiday festivities. It was just me and my new little baby and despite my love for hospitals (sometimes I just go and eat lunch there when I'm NOT sick), I was feeling lonely and a little blue.

Then I heard it -- carolers. A small family came by with a guitar and they stopped at my door and sang "Feliz Navidad" to me and my tiny boy. It was just what I needed. Though I must admit this is NOT one of my favorite Christmas songs, I now can't hear that song without tearing up.

If you ever go caroling at a hospital, please don't forget the maternity ward.

6 comments:

Carina said...

I had an early surprise happen on the 23rd four years ago.

Hey, could you consider a post on how to celebrate birthdays that are on top of Christmas? I'm always looking for ideas.

Am'n2Deep said...

What a great place to go caroling! Good story, and good advice.




But I must ask: Really? You do love hospitals?

Geo said...

I'll second that. Hospital singing is a lovely service.

Elizabeth-W said...

My husband takes the girls to the local hospital to eat lunch or dinner. I think it's crazy but the girls love it.

Rynell said...

Yea for carolers!

Lois said...

AZUCAR -- what a great day. If it's good enough for Joseph Smith, it's good enough for me!

I just do a small birthday party a few weeks before his birthday. I do the same thing and spend the same amount of money on each kid's birthday, so there's no feeling slighted that a birthday is overshadowed by Christmas.

This year I'm lazy, so I'm offering them a BIG gift in lieu of a party (basing the cost of the gift on the cost of a normal party). Two of the three kids are opting for the gift.

AM'N2DEEP -- I do like hospitals. I like to visit people there, be in there (lay in bed all day and they bring me food? Awesome!!!), work there, etc.

GEO -- I've never done the hospital singing myself. Too afraid that I'll make them more sick with my singing!

ELIZABETH W -- see, I'm not the only one!!!

RYNELL -- yes, I love carolers.