What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Sunday, December 16, 2007

Upside-Down, Boy You Turn Me

M-A told me to write a blog about upside-down Christmas trees. I guess there's a new trend of hanging trees from the ceiling so there's more room for presents underneath. I checked it out on the Internet and was not impressed (if I was computer savvy, I would put some links -- but alas, I can barely figure out how to work the rat -- oops, I mean mouse). Does anyone else remember the Wilkinson Center Ballroom being decorated with upside-down trees hung from the high ceilings every Christmas? I guess they were trend setters.

It reminded me of one Christmas when my mother was musing over where to put the tree. She delights in rearranging the furniture and finding a new place for the tree each year.

Rena, Stillwell and I suggested that she should have the tree sticking out from the wall horizontally. Well, she was NOT amused. In fact, she said, "That's enough. Go to bed right now."

We looked at each other, shocked. Was she serious? Go to bed? It was about 3:00 in the afternoon and I was 16, Stillwell was 18 and Rena was 20!!! We shrugged our shoulders and went up to our rooms to bed.

8 comments:

Elizabeth-W said...

I don't remember upside down trees in the Wilk. That somehow just seems anti-something. And the BYU isn't ezzaktly known for being counterculture.

Carina said...

Horizontally? That has to be the most offensive thing ever said, EVER. I can't believe you said such a thing to your MOTHER.


It was so fun meeting you!

LuckyRedHen said...

Upside down would be MARVELOUS!

Thanks for the comment on my bloggy and it was SO nice to meet Looooooiiiiiiiiisssss at CW's breakfast birthday ;o)

Lois said...

ELIZABETH W -- does no one remember those trees? Maybe like much of my college career, I imagined it all.

AZUCAR -- yeah, what was up with that? That's why we were so shocked.

Great meeting you, too!

LUCKY RED HEN -- it was good meeting you, though obviously I'm incapable of introducing myself.

Geo said...

You know those artistic types. They tend to lose track of real time. Your mom was just having a creative moment.

Lois said...

GEO -- at least he remembers to eat.

Am'n2Deep said...

The most amazing thing to me is that you actually went up to bed! What obedient children she raised!

Lois said...

AMN2DEEP -- we are very obedient, especially where sleep is concerned.