What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

An Open Letter to School Teachers...

I know that you want to give my children knowledge of the world around them and let them appreciate other cultures, but can you please STOP hyping holiday traditions that are celebrated in other countries?

I don't appreciate having to run to the store late at night (after working 8 hours at my main job and 4 hours at my seasonal job) to get treats to fill up my kids' shoes because the next morning is St. Nicklaus Day. I tried to explain to my children that we don't live in Germany or Austria and that we don't have a single drop of Western European blood running through our veins, but they were intent to celebrate this holiday that YOU TOLD THEM ABOUT.

I'm praying that they're not taught about St. Lucia Day because I will not torch my kid's hair on fire trying to create a hat-wreath of candles in order to celebrate ANOTHER tradition that we don't follow here in America.

Why don't you get them all excited about Ramadan? A holiday that consists of 40 days of fasting -- I can get behind that one. Why aren't you pushing that on our children? Why does it always have to be the ones that entail costumes and/or presents?

Thank you,

A very tired (and not so global) parent

7 comments:

Geo said...

Bravo, weary mom!

Am'n2Deep said...

My husband: 3rd grade teacher. He did the shoe thing every year...HOWEVER, the candy came out of our budget, thank you very much.

And, thank heavens, I'm pretty sure there are fire codes that will keep over zealous teachers from torching children's hair--but I'll pray with ya that they don't give the children any ideas.

And, honestly, why DON'T they get behind fasting? Do you know how much worse it is when the kids are hyped on sugar from their holiday treats? This way they might be lethargic and obedient! Then again, it might not be so good for academics--maybe if they just steered clear of end of year testing...?

Rynell said...

I'd like to know why every holiday from every culture that my children learn about involves loads of sugary treats.
Fasting: yea! Perhaps we could invent some holiday to celebrate broccoli or cucumbers. I'd feel so much better about interspersing the "sweet" celebrating with some healthy munching.

Lois said...

GEO -- brava, indeed.

AM'N2DEEP -- I don't mind them doing stuff at school, it's when they guilt me into doing it at home that I don't like.

RYNELL -- I need to research the whole broccoli or cucumber holiday. Maybe we can start one?

Nigel said...

Festivus for the rest of us!

Lois said...

NIGEL -- now for the feats of strength!

Lois said...

NOTE -- my sister-in-law Julene has informed me that Ramadan only lasts for one lunar month, not 40 days. So sorry for the mistake.