What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Sunday, December 23, 2007

Secret Santa

It's official. We're pathetic.

I came home from work and there were TONS of presents under the tree. We were ding-dong-ditched, obviously someone's service project. The worst part is that the presents appear to be from a GROUP of people (different handwriting, my kid's name spelled three different ways, etc.). I can just imagine that meeting:

"We need to do a charity project for a needy family in the neighborhood. Does anyone have any ideas?"

"Hey, what about Lois' family? I hear she has her nine-year-old daughter cut her hair."

"I've also heard that she's never been to Wal-Mart."

"Yeah, her husband doesn't even have a job. He just sits around all day drawing pictures."

"And they only paid $1.00 for their car."

"What? They're definitely deprived. Yes, we must help out Lois' family."

I'm sure that's how it went.

Seriously, I'm very thankful for the plenty that's under our tree that has made my kids' eyes wide with Christmas joy. I'm especially thankful because these are people who KNOW us and LOVE us. Santa came early this year and we thank you, Santa (and your many elves).

After all, this is the season of giving -- and receiving -- joyfully.

9 comments:

Geo said...

Merry Christmas, Lois and company! We love you!

Sometimes you're the elf, sometimes you're the chimney. (?)

It all works out, because of love.

b. said...

Merry Christmas, Lois and Lois' Family!

Monica B. said...

Someone did that for my family when I was young, and it made such an impression on me. I knew that when I grew up I wanted to be that kind of a person. The kind that thought of others instead of myself.

Merry Christmas!

Lois said...

GEO & B & MONICA B -- Merry Christmas! At first I wasn't sure what to make of the "Secret Santa," but now I am SOOOO excited! It dawned on me that Christmas isn't so thrilling now that I'm an adult because I'm the one who bought and wrapped all the presents. There's no suspense, no surprise. This has really filled me with the Christmas spirit. I'm so excited now!

dalene said...

I remember the days when we were the token neighborhood project. I know that sounds like I'm making fun, but it truly was magical and meaningful.

Merry Christmas!

(geo--I love that! "Sometimes you're the elf, sometimes you're the chimney.")

b. said...

We were the chimney one year too. The anonymous kindness restored so much to my soul. It definitely changed how I view the spirit of the season.

Lois said...

CW & B -- yes, it made our Christmas very exciting and very fun. Thank you Secret Santas!

Am'n2Deep said...

We were delivered an entire Christmas on our door step late one Christmas Eve night a couple of years ago after a particularly difficult year with a beautiful Christmas story about giving. I think we just stood there staring on the porch for 5 minutes before a one of us spoke or moved. It was difficult to accept, but such a beautiful experience as we all sat together and read the story. For once, my children sat and listened without interruption.

Lois said...

AMN2DEEP -- beautiful story. Love it.